Paleo Diet Shopping List
With growing awareness about how to maintain one’s health and wellbeing, health experts are increasingly suggesting people to switch from the processed foods they buy from their local supermarkets to much safer and healthier alternatives. To achieve that, professional nutritionists are now suggesting making a move back to our roots and go back to the diet followed in the caveman days, which is not only considered to be a better option in terms of the food choices we make but also ensures that the foods we consume are safe with proper nourishment. Called the Paleolithic or Paleo diet, this relatively new concept is catching up fast among people who are conscious about their fitness.
Since the Paleo or primal diet plan is based on a number of food items that are thought to be fit for consumption based on the nutrition they provide and where they are acquired from. For this reason, people may need to compile a Paleo diet shopping list whenever they go out grocery shopping for this impressive nutrition plan.
How Paleo diet shopping list differs from the rest
Paleo diet can be best described as a complete opposite to what we are typically used to eat on a daily basis. It aims to connect us with the Neanderthals who existed thousands of years ago by incorporating their food habits into our dietary programs. Modern research has shown that the human body is naturally not made to accept the artificially treated and manufactured food items that are filled with empty calories in the form of carbohydrates. What scientists now recommend is to increase the intake of proteins as well as good fats in place of the carbohydrates that were a part of our diets previously.
The Paleo diet shopping list is not all about the balancing act between the nutritional values, however, and also requires people to be cautious about the sources where their food items are coming from. In other words, the system denounces agricultural produce being cultivated on a mass scale and using unnatural means of plant growth as well as fertilization. Additionally, it emphasizes on engaging into organic methods of raising cattle, livestock and fowls in order to ensure that the meat we consume is free of any chemical influences.
What the Paleo diet shopping list typically entails
Typically, the Paleo diet shopping list would contain items such as:
– Meats from free-range animals: Recent research has shown that when animals are allowed to breed in an open environment, their meat is considerably richer in nutrition than those animals that are being bred commercially and in captivity. Large industrial corporations use unnatural methods of enlarging the size of the animals they raise and are also known to feed them with questionable nutrients. Scientists recommend meats coming from free-range or wild animals as a better option due to their better nutritional content, which provides essential fats and proteins.
– Fish caught in the wild: When it comes to selecting the right fish, studies suggest a similar approach as they do for choosing meats. Being high in protein and important fats, fish is a perfect substitute for the energy we gain from carbohydrates. In fact, the oils contained in fish have shown good results in decreasing the risk of developing breast cancer.
– Nuts for snacking: Since the avoidance of carbohydrates significantly reduces the meal portions, experts suggest filling in the hunger pangs with healthy snacking options such as nuts, which are an amazing source of nutrition and help maintaining energy levels. Be careful in choosing the nuts you consume, however, as most people mistakenly count peanut as a type of nut even though it is a legume. Recommended nuts include almonds, pistachio, macadamia nuts, walnuts, pecans and cashews.
– Vegetables to complement meals: Vegetables are one of the most important items on the Paleo diet shopping list as not only do they contain necessary nutrients but also act as a perfect source of natural fiber, especially when consumed raw. You can choose to make an entire meal out of vegetables, such as a salad, or use them as side dishes to the main meat dish you prepare. Depending upon the season, you can pick up a variety of vegetables such as leafy greens, squashes, kales, peas, beans, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, turnips, cabbages and cauliflowers.
– Fruits to revitalize yourself: Fruits are a perfectly natural and organic source of acquiring nutrition as well as replenish yourself. They not only serve as an amazing route to consuming essential fibers but also provide important vitamins and nutrients that guarantee our wellness. For people on a weight regimen, it is important to abstain from high fructose fruits like mangoes, bananas, grapes and pineapples. Better alternatives would be citrus fruits, berries and avocados, which have a low sugar content and are present a variety of flavors as well.